Normal (base) Normal (double)
Shovel Knight is the final guest DLC character coming to Rivals of Aether. He was released on September, 2018, along with his stage, Troupple Pond, and the stages for Sylvanos and Elliana.
- Has many unique moves to mix up opponents.
- The shop mechanic allows Shovel Knight to adapt to different matchups / playstyles. For instance, Shovel Knight can purchase "Ghost Glove" if he needs a projectile for a matchup.
- The Dynamo Mail allows Shovel Knight to use aerial Strong attacks after a Down Air. This allows Shovel Knight to execute powerful moves closer to the blastzone.
- Has many ways to safely spike the opponent including Down Air, Down Special, Down Tilt, Down Strong, and the falling part of Up Special.
- Needs to store up treasure to purchase items from the shop.
- Other characters can pick up treasure before he can.
- Drops treasure when he dies.
- Has a large crouching hitbox, so he can't duck under projectiles such as Zetterburn's fireball.
- Shovel Knight can taunt on the respawn platform to open up the shop and purchase items. This is the safest way to buy upgrades.
- If Shovel Knight fishes and gets the gem pile (not the golden fish), wavedash backwards and use Forward Tilt to immediately break the pile. (This is possibly a glitch due to the sound effects.)
- If Shovel Knight fishes and gets a golden fish, use standard neutral special to immediately pick up the fish.
- While using Forward Air, Shovel Knight has a very high aerial drift speed. This means he can essentially reverse his momentum in air after using Forward Air once.
- Immediately after starting to taunt, press Parry and Special. This makes Shovel Knight perform a special animation. Shovel Knight's helmet will fall off during this animation, revealing Shovel Knight's identity as a fish. If only Parry is pressed, Shovel Knight's helmet will stay on.
- Use a full jump combined with an airdodge to waveland onto the mobile gear quickly.
- Once on the mobile gear, Shovel Knight can use heavy-hitting moves like Forward Strong while moving quickly. This can be useful for mixing up the opponent.
- Use grounded Down Strong onto the mobile gear. This creates the Down Strong explosion higher, meaning it can hit both grounded and aerial opponents more easily.
- Using Down Strong immediately after Wavedash or Dashing allows it to be used in the air, similar to using Down Strong with Dynamo Mail. This can be useful from ledges and platforms for Gimping and mix ups.
Elemental Powers: Edit
- TREASURE HUNTER - Hitting opponents knocks gems out of them, which can be collected. Shovel Knight's taunt opens a shop which can be used to buy Relics and Armor with the collected gems. The amount of treasure is displayed with the damage percent on the bottom of the screen.
- RELICS AND ARMOR - By taunting, Shovel Knight can access a shop and purchase upgrades such as relics and armors.
- SHOVEL DROP - Shovel Knight's down air causes him to bounce off opponents and projectiles just like in his original game.
|Traits||6% (Taunt), 3% (Ghost Glove), 8% (War Horn center), 10% (War Horn Edges), 2% (Mobile Gear)||Gem Collecting: When Shovel Knight hits an opponent, treasure is dropped based on the damage of the attack. Characters can collide with the treasure to pick it up, but only Shovel Knight can use the treasure. The amount of treasure Shovel Knight currently has is displayed near the bottom of the screen with the damage percent.
Summon Chester (Taunt): A treasure chest appears in front of Shovel Knight, which has an initial hitbox. The treasure chest opens up the shop interface (at the top of the screen). Shovel Knight can select an item to purchase in exchange for treasure. Using the Strong attack + Direction (Or C Stick for Gamecube controller players) you can do a quick purchase. If multiple Shovel Knights are taunting, there will be multiple cursors in the shop but still only a single shop.
Relics: Shovel Knight can purchase 3 different relics in the shop to replace his Neutral Special. Once a relic is purchased, the default Neutral Special will be unavailable until the end of the match.
Armor: Shovel Knight can purchase 3 different armors in the shop. The armors change his color scheme and properties.
Dying: When Shovel Knight is killed, he leaves floating treasure bags on the screen. The bags contain a percent of Shovel Knight's treasure. Other players cannot pick up the bags. If there are multiple Shovel Knights, the bags have an outline color based on who they belong to.
|Dash attack||5%||Blink Dash: Shovel Knight charges forward with his shoulder. He slides across the stage quickly while using this move.|
|Jab||5%||Shovel Swing: A single swing forward. This move is the same as Neutral Air.|
|Forward tilt||3%, 3%||Dust Knuckles: Two punches that move Shovel Knight forward. It can combo into itself. This move is the same as Forward Air, so Shovel Knight can transition from ground to air easily.|
|Up tilt||5%||Buzzsaw Boomerang: Shovel Knight throws a buzzsaw in an arc around him. This move covers the front, top, and back. The buzzsaw can go through platforms. If Shovel Knight is hit during the move, the buzzsaw will be disabled, but it will continue to move.|
|Down tilt||4%, 6%||Dig: A two hit attack. The first hit stuns grounded opponents and spikes aerial opponents. The second hit launches opponents upward. This can be used to gimp recoveries very close to the ledge.|
|Up strong||10-16% (shovel), 6% (block)||Big Dig: A large shovel uppercut. If the move is fully charged, Shovel Knight unearths a large ground block that can damage and launch opponents.The angle of the block can be slightly altered by the control stick. The block can be broken for treasure by normal attacks or moved around with Down Tilt and Up Strong. Kragg can also pick up the block, but it will be converted to one of his rocks, even if he already has a rock. If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can perform this move in the air right after using Shovel Drop (Down Air) on an opponent, but no blocks will appear.|
|Forward strong||11-17%||Charge Slash: A fast shovel swing. If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can perform this move in the air right after using Shovel Drop (Down Air) on an opponent.|
|Down strong||1%, 2-3%, 7-11% (explosion)||Flare Razer: Shovel Knight jumps into the air while charging this attack. He can move back and forth slightly while charging. When the button is released, Shovel Knight performs a multi-hit downward stab that ends in an explosion when he hits the ground. This move drags down opponents in the air. If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can perform this move in the air right after using Shovel Drop (Down Air) on an opponent.|
|Neutral air||5%||Shovel Swing: A single swing forward. This move is the same as Jab, so landing while using Neutral Air will cause Shovel Knight to use Jab.|
|Up air||2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 3% (total 11%)||Rising Dagger: A multi-hit upward spin attack. Holding the button makes Shovel Knight rise higher.|
|Forward air||3%, 3%||Dust Knuckles: Two punches that move Shovel Knight forward. It can combo into itself. This move is the same as Forward Tilt, so Shovel Knight can transition from air to ground easily.|
|Back air||2%, 2%, 6% (total 10%)||Flareo Rod: A multi-hit explosion behind Shovel Knight.|
|Down air||7% (hilt), 6% (blade)|| Shovel Drop: A downward stab with a shovel that can be held as long as the button is pressed down. The hilt of the shovel (the handle) can spike opponents. Hitting an opponent or projectile causes Shovel Knight to bounce.
If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can strong attack in the air right after using Shovel Drop on an opponent.
This is Shovel Knight's signature attack.
|Neutral special||3% (Ghost Glove), 8% (War Horn center), 10% (War Horn Edges), 2% (Mobile Gear)|| Coin Capture: The Default Neutral Special. Shovel Knight quickly draws all of the treasure on the screen towards him, including floating treasure bags (from previous deaths) and treasure from fishing.
Ghost Glove (1000 Gems): A purchasable Special. A fast but short ranged projectile punch. It can be canceled on landing if timed correctly.
War Horn (1200 Gems): A purchasable Special. It is a slow attack that pushes opponents outwards.
Mobile Gear (1400 Gems): Shovel Knight throws a box with the mobile gear on the ground. The control stick can be used to alter the direction of the throw. After a few frames, the mobile gear begins to move across the ground with an active hitbox. It auto-jumps at ledges. The gear can be ridden by anyone like a moving platform and has gravity. If parried, the gear reverses direction and continues to move.
Note: Purchasable Specials are bought with gems collected in the current match. Shovel Knight's Specials reset after the match is done.
|Up special||10%||Tow Anchor: Shovel Knight jumps in an arc with an anchor in front of him. The anchor has a large hitbox. The initial hitbox is very strong if reversed. You can fastfall during the descent of this move to finish it faster.|
|Side special||12%|| Propeller Dagger: Shovel Knight dashes forward with a dagger and bounces off walls / players. The dash can be jump canceled but you cannot wavedash out of it. This move can be charged, and if it is fully charged, the move becomes Infinidagger.
Infinidagger: The fully charged version of Propeller Dagger. It travels the length of the stage and can even bounce off the blastzones. If this move is parried, Shovel Knight will continue to fly until he hits the blastzone and will enter parry lag while offstage, resulting in an unavoidable death.
|Down special||8%(down), 8% (up)||Fishing Rod: Shovel Knight casts a fishing rod down, spiking opponents along the way. If used in the air, Shovel Knight floats on a glide cloud. If Shovel Knight fishes off the bottom of the screen, the player will be prompted to press the special button. Depending on the player's timing, Shovel Knight will find either a Treasure Rock or a Golden Fish. Both have hitboxes and can give Shovel Knight treasure.|
Special Costumes Edit
Shovel Knight is the main protagonist of the game Shovel Knight.
- Shovel Knight is the current final character in the Rivals roster and the second guest character.
- Shield Knight makes an appearance for Shovel Knight's parry animation.
- There is an NPC in the original game that looks just like Shovel Knight, but with a fish head instead of a helmet. This animal correlation fits with the theme in Rivals.
- Summon Chester is one of the most interactive taunts in the game along with Arcade Elliana's taunt. Additionally, it is the only taunt that changes gameplay directly.
- Shovel Knight is the third character to be able to use Strong Attacks in the air, the first two being Wrastor and Elliana.
- His element is "Shovel" according to the official stream.
- "Big Dig" is the only move that was named by the Rivals Developers; all of the other moves come from the original game.
- Gem Collecting is similar to the "Coin Battle" mode in Smash Bros. games.
- No other character in Rivals has both a shared Jab and Neutral air and a shared Forward Tilt and Forward Air.
- Shovel Knight and Summit Orcane are the only characters that can change colors during a match.
- In Rivals, Shovel Knight is actually a fish. This can be seen in-game if you press Parry and Special during the startup animation of taunting (you basically press all three at once). Shovel Knight performs a different animation in which his helmet falls off. If only Parry is pressed after taunting, Shovel Knight performs the same animation, but his helmet doesn't fall off. This might imply that he is not actually be the Cyrulean Warrior, but a fake.